Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A Nation of Three Year Olds

Driving home today, I saw the following on the license plate frame of a silver Toyota Camry:  I see, I like, I want, I whine, I get.

I pondered why someone, presumably an adult, would want to put this on their vehicle.  I wondered what they thought the general public's perception of their statement would be.  Did they think people would think it was cute?  That they were just adorable?  And look, they get everything they want, all they have to do is whine.  

Maybe their thought process just stopped at 'cute.'

What I saw was a person who has no problem letting the world know their secret to success.  It's easy, every 3-year-old knows it.  All this Camry driver has to do is see something, want it, whine and someone will give it to them.  

I just find that sad, and had to say so.  More and more I see grown men and women acting like children; inconsiderate, self-centered, lacking in self-control and just, plain rude. Worse, I see them getting away with it, mostly because everyone else around them is acting the same way.  We have become a nation of 3-year-olds.

No comments: